Re: installing Oracle 8i remotedly

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:42:59 -0500

NetComrade wrote:

> Did anybody have a chance to figure it out?
>
> How about tarring the whole ORACLE_HOME diretory on a local server and
> FTP'ing it to a remote one, will that be a problem?
>
> Thanx.
> ---------------
> In case I forgot to mention:
> We use Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
> Andrey Dmitriev eFax: (978) 383-5892 Daytime: (917) 750-3630
> AOL: NetComrade ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email

That will get the Oracle software for you, but if you are copying an existing database you should also include in your tar all of the directories containing stuff like your control files, your log files, your data, etc.

IMHO it is better to have someone at the remote site mount the CD-ROM and then just log in and run the installer remotely. (I installed Oracle 7.3.3 and 8.0.4 this way on systems in Ireland and England from my office in the United States -- so I know it works!)

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one. Received on Sat Jan 22 2000 - 00:42:59 CST