Re: connection to WebDB site from a LAN client

From: <cloggans_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:09:16 GMT

You have mis-understood what I was saying. I made no reference to the DAD being part of the problem. In your example, if www.rtfm.com is not a valid entry in your DNS or hosts file, then the client cannot connect to the WebDB server. Even if you use the actual IP address, which should work for any web site, the Oracle WebDB tries to re-connect you using the host.domain instead of the IP address, at which point the connection will fail if the entry is not known to the DNS.

-Chris

In article <862e73$k9c$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   hopkinsj_at_excite.com wrote:
> Craig:
>
> You sure about that? I'm must insist that you're wrong. The WebDB
> listener picks up requests at
>
> http://host.domain:port/DAD
>
> where DAD is the database access descriptor. The default DAD is
> webdb. The webdb listener listens on the port that you specify, and
> connects to the database using the DAD you specify.
>
> e.g., www.rtfm.com:81/WebDB
>
> Francesco, I believe your problem lies elsewhere.
>
> You're both free to dispute this, but you'll have to put include a
> reference to the manual.
>
> -John
>
> In article <85ig25$brf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> cloggans_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > When you install WebDB, it assigns a name to the machine (for
example:
> > webdb.my-company.com). When you connect to it from a client
machine,
> > even if you use the IP address instead of the name, the WebDB
> > application tries to re-connect you using the name it assigned and
not
> > the IP address. If this name is not in your company's domain name
> > server (DNS) then the connection will fail. The easy work around is
> > create a local HOSTS file on your PC with the entry for the WebDB
> > machine in it. Your connection should work fine after that.
> >
> > -Chris
> >
> > In article <85iaau$i6b$1_at_news.mclink.it>,
> > "Francesco Zavatarelli" <fzavat_at_wen.it> wrote:
> > > Oracle 8i is installed on WIN NT platform.
> > > WebDB is installed (typical installation).
> > > Alias has been defined by Oracle NT Easy Config.
> > > LAN works properly with TCP/IP protocol.
> > >
> > > I can access Web site (The Traveller) correctly when working on
the
> > server
> > > workstation; I cannot reach the Web site from a client PC of the
> LAN.
> > > Must be a ***big*** mistake somewhere. Any suggestion?
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> --
> H. John C. Hopkins
> Programmer Analyst
> Gainesville, FL
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 19 2000 - 09:09:16 CST