Re: Oracle on Linux - your opinions

From: Buck Turgidson <jcmanNOSPAM_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:09:06 -0500

8.0.5 is easier to install, though not the latest version. I don't run it in a production environment, but I've never had a problem with either the OS or the DB. I remember reading that Linux apparently buffers writes, so even though some redo logs appear to be written, they may not be. That could be a recoverability issue, depending on your backup strategy.

One question to ask is if you have expertise in Oracle. If you're a DB2 shop, do you need to hire an Oracle DBA?