Re: how do I hint(parallel) 2 or more tables in a select statement

From: Mohamed Buhari <mbuhari_at_assigncorp.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2000 21:08:02 EST

Solutiojn 1:
According to oracle, U need to specify hints only to aliases ( not the actual tablenames) Here is an example

select /*+ parallel (a,4) parallel(b,4) */ a.empname,b.deptno from emp a,dept b
where a.deptno=b.deptno;

Now your explain plan must show parallel access to bo the tables.

Solution 2 :

If above doent work.Ask your DBA to set degree of parallelism at table level so that no hints are required.

ALTER TABLE emp PARALLEL ( DEGREE 4 );
ALTER TABLE dept PARALLEL (DEGREE 4 );

Now U dont have to specify any parallel hint,optimizer automatically assign the degree of parallelism

Mohamed.