Archiving Oracle with tar

From: Jerry Asher <asher.nospam_at_nospam.autobahn.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 06:53:27 -0800

I am playing with Oracle and as I play, I figure I am certain to destroy it once or twice.

Having installed it in /orasw/... and having built a database also within /orasw/..., I have taken the liberty of tarring and compressing the installation:

cd /
tar zcvf orasw /tmp/virgin-oracle-install.tgz

Presumably, when I am fed up with my latest blunder, I can remove the /orasw directory and untar a new installation with a fresh database.

cd /
rm -rf orasw
tar zcvf /tmp/virgin-oracle-install.tgz

So, is there any reason to believe that this will work and do the right thing?

Thanks,

Jerry Asher Received on Wed Jan 19 2000 - 08:53:27 CST