Re: Closing oracle server when users are connected to database.

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:19:35 GMT

In article <14e690b0.b92eb194_at_usw-ex0110-076.remarq.com>,   Dhanesh <jdhaneshNOjdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Hello friends,
> We have our Oracle database on a SUN Solaris machine. When
> I want to shutdown the database it doesn't shutdown if some
> user is connected to it. I tried the NORMAL & IMMEDIATE
> shutdown, but tthe commands did not shutdown the
> database.The commands produced no response. There is one
> more ABORT shutdown and I am not aware of its effects. So
> can someone please guide me as to how can I shutdown the
> database when the users are still connected to it.
> Thanks
> Dhanesh
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also
find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

--
From the Oracle8 Administrator's Guide: === begin ===
Normal database shutdown proceeds with the following conditions:

No new connections are allowed after the statement is issued. Before the database is shut down, Oracle waits for all currently connected users to disconnect from the database.

Immediate database shutdown proceeds with the following conditions:

Current client SQL statements being processed by Oracle are terminated immediately.
Any uncommitted transactions are rolled back. (If long uncommitted transactions exist, this method of shutdown might not complete quickly, despite its name.)
Oracle does not wait for users currently connected to the database to disconnect; Oracle implicitly rolls back active transactions and disconnects all connected users.

Aborting an instance shuts down a database and yields the following results:

Current client SQL statements being processed by Oracle are immediately terminated.
Uncommitted transactions are not rolled back. Oracle does not wait for users currently connected to the database to disconnect; Oracle implicitly disconnects all connected users. === end ===

While not stated above, a shutdown abort will cause the next startup to perform instance recovery.

Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 19 2000 - 07:19:35 CST