Display of system date in oracle.

From: Dhanesh <jdhaneshNOjdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:04:03 -0800

Hello friends,

   I have a query regarding sysdate.At my work place I have my oracle database on a SUN Solaris machine. And I have oracle client installed on my machine. The OS is japanese on the server as well as my machine.

   When asked for the sysdate the display format is 'YY/MM/DD' at the same time my co-worker who is accessing the same database but from a english OS is getting the display as 'DD-MON-YY'. Since we both are connecting t the same server, why is date displayed in different formats.Does the difference in OS make it so.
It would be helpful if this query is solved. Thanks
Dhanesh