From: Dr. B. Weikl <weikl_at_ilt.fhg.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:19:35 +0100

I wrote: 84t8mv$n3t$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE...
> Hi all,
>
> we are having problems when importing an old Oracle 7 DB which was created
> with US7ASCII character set. Our new DB is Oracle 8.0.5.0.1 with
> WE8ISO8859P1 character set. Using the CHARSET=US7ASCII with IMP or leaving
> the CHARSET qualifier away produce both ? for special characters.
>
> What is ths CHARSET qualifier for, when it doesn't help?
>
> Any idea how to import the old DB is appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> -- Bruno, Fraunhofer Org.
>
> weikl_at_ilt.fhg.de

We found that the export file itself was already 7-Bit. What we did was to setenv NLS_LANG GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8DEC
*before* export. This worked though the database was set up with US7ASCII. The reason for this mess was that frontends used 8-Bit characters.

Thanks for the help!