BLOB to BFILE conversion

From: <speedrazer_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:18:55 GMT

I have a situation where a developer for an application that is being used in our company is storing MS Office documents as BLOBs in the database. This is actually an improvement since until a couple of days ago they were Oracle 7 LONG RAWS. I have been pleading with him to get this crap out of the database and use BFILEs instead. My guess is that his reluctance is based upon his lack of expertise. What I am wondering is if anyone out there might have documentation on how to best accomplish this conversion. I am not a developer by any stretch and am, in fact, a relatively new DBA. All I know is that he is using Power Builder to manipulate storage/retrieval of these documents through some type of OCI/OLE 'hocus-pocus'. We are running Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 on Sun Solaris 2.6.

Please post replies to this newsgroup forum.

Thanks,

Dylan Ryback
Systems Engineer, Oracle DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 18 2000 - 12:18:55 CST