Re: Replication on 8i

From: Wayne Menzie <waynem_at_bosmedtechdotcom.nospam>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:11:22 GMT

tim.mcconechy_at_runtime.dk wrote in <861l96$19g$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>:

>Hi.
>I am trying to set up replication ..
>I want to replicate 1 instance between two machines.
>
>I tried to use the setup wizard in Oracle 8i's replication manager
>but everytime I do this I cannot see the master group in the master
>group section and nothing is replicated between the two machines.
>
>Could someone outline what I need to do to set this up?!?!?

Tim,

Don't use the Replication Manager in OEM v2.x. It is still in beta and doesn't work properly to set up replication. Read the Replication White Paper to understand the basic concepts. You can read it at http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a67791/toc.htm if you don't have your CD handy. Afterwards, read the Replication API Reference to see an example script that you should try. You can read this at http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a67793/toc.htm.

There are quite a few gotchas when it comes to replication. As many in this NG have pointed out, the database links are the key. You must be absolutely sure that all the database links you create for replication work.

These are the key points I've found through trial and mostly error while struggling with replication on 8i. I've got it working now but it takes some patience and understanding of the concepts involved:

  1. Database links MUST work. I can't stress this enough.
  2. global_names must be set to TRUE in init.ora. Don't use the basic database copied from the CD. There is something strange about the global_name of that database. Make sure to create a custom database based on your needs. This is good general advice and eliminates part of the global_names problem.
  3. shared_pool_size needs to be at least 15 MB for the advanced replication support scripts to run.
  4. job_queue_processes must be set to a number greater than 0. For Multimaster replication, Oracle recommends a minimum of 2.
  5. job_queue_interval should be set to a reasonable interval. This number is in seconds and I've seen default values of 10 and 60 depending of the database creation method.
  6. Once you get the environment setup and are waiting for dba_repcatlog to clear out, try pushing the transactions by using DBMS_REPCAT.DO_DEFERRED_REPCAT_ADMIN.
  7. Check for errors in deferror and dba_repcatlog. Resolve them.

Make sure you script everything in a text editor first. It will save you a lot of time. This is an iterative process to it may not work the first time. Don't be afraid to start all over. You aren't working on a production machine, are you?

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Wayne Menzie Received on Tue Jan 18 2000 - 07:11:22 CST