Oracle80 Process Memory Leak

From: BM <maob_at_uphs.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:36:57 -0500

 Need help with the Oracle80 Process Memory Leak.

 Here is my situation:

 System: HP Netserver with NT4.0 Sp5, 2GB Memory and 4 Processor.  Oracle Database: SGA

                             db_block_size = 4096
                             db_block_buffers = 51200 (200MB)
                             share_pool_size = 314572800 (300MB)
                             sort_area_size = 262144
                             log_checkpoint_interval = 8000
                             processes = 500
                             parallel_max_server = 16
                             log_buffer = 61440
                             sequence_cache_ebtries = 100
                             sequence_cache_has_buckets = 100

 I am running an a third party application called Picis (healthcare  monitoring aplication) using a third party ODBC driver call INTERSOLVE  3.11 32-Bit Oracle8. I'm running Oracle 8.05 with the latest Oracle  patches on it.

 My problem is that the Oracle80 process virtual bytes keeps increasing  and when I get to about 1.7 to 1.8 GB of virtual bytes, I get a TNS  Listener error ORA-12500 and no more connection can be made to the  database. The only way to resolve this is to reboot the database server
 and it will last me about 3 days of heavy usage before I have to reboot

 it again.

 I've been monitoring the Oracle80 process virtual bytes and the  situation is this, every times I made connection to the database, it  uses certain of the virtual bytes memory and when I close the  application, the connection drop, but the virtual bytes memory does not

 drop back to where I first started the application as it suppose to. It
 actually keeps between 40 to 50 % of the memory it uses and that's why  the virtual bytes keeps on increasing. The problem is not just localize
 to the third party application (Picis) that I'm using, the problem occur
 also when I'm using Oracle tools such Schema Manager, Instance Manager,

 etc... It uses certain amount of virtual bytes on the Oracle80 process  when it connected to the database, but it does not give it all back when
 I closes them.

 I've been working with Oracle and the third party vendor and so far I've
 not been able to reslove anything. Oracle does not have an answer for  and they ask us to apply the latest patch and that did not solve the  problem. The vendor think that our database server is over size with  2GB of Memory on NT server 4.0. We do not run NT Enmterprise server at

 our location. I'm stuck and unable to resolve this problem at the  moment. Does any body ever ran into anything similar and able to  reolsve it or might have a solution for me.

 Thanks,

 Boran Received on Mon Jan 17 2000 - 16:36:57 CST