serious, silent, transaction bug in Oracle

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:46:45 -0500

Hi.
I will be going to Oracle tech support to report this. Is anyone aware of this? The issue is that the SQL (shown in SQL-PLUS form)

BEGIN
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE; insert into isolationtest (id,val) values ('143',100); update isolationtest set val = 200 where id = '143'; COMMIT;
END;
/

This SQL will *sometimes* silently fail, such that a subsequent query will show that the inserted row still has the 100 value in the val column. The bug occurs regularly and predictably for me. In a series of 143 such transactions, the 142nd one will silently fail. Attached is a script to pipe into SQL-PLUS, though I've duplicated the bug with JDBC too. At the end of the output I get:

'TOTALTRANSACTIONS COUNT(*)

------------------ ----------
total transactions        143

SQL>
'GOODTRANSACTIONS COUNT(*)

----------------- ----------
good transactions        142

SQL>
'BROKENTRANSACTIONS COUNT(*)

------------------- ----------
broken transactions          1

Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of WebLogic --

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is in S.F., and now has some entry-level positions for
people who want to work with Java and E-Commerce infrastructure products. Send
resumes to joe_at_beasys.com

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server

     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture

               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm