Re: 8i Spatial data by postal area

From: Mike S <mike.stoneNOmiSPAM_at_talk21.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:16:22 -0800

Steve,

      Basically you want add value to your data by geo-referencing it.    First of all, you wouldn't be dealing with HHcodes in 8i (from what I understand of the product) - Oracle have used the "extensibility" feature of 8i to implement "spatial indexing" instead.   So far as getting postal area data is concerned, I'd have thought your best chance would be to contact Ordnance Survey (www.ordsvy.gov.uk). They offer a number of products which could help you - though they certainly won't come free of charge.   The only problem is that I'm not sure how the GPS co-ordinates you require can be related to OS's grid references which will be supplied with any of the above products. You may need some more detailed sales advice from OS.

   Keep us posted with your experiences with 8i Spatial...

Mike S