partitioning tables

From: shaunak <shaunak_at_speedlink.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 00:18:20 +1100

hi

i am implementing an application that has 50 tables of which only 5 grow at a good rate 5GB/month the rest grow insignificantly. I have been considering partitioning
the large growing tables to keep the backups smaller and faster. My data is all history data (unchangable) and i can make the older partitions readonly to avoid backing up.

At present i have a common tablespace called USER_APPS for all the tables.

i want your expert opinion on

  1. would it be simpler to partition all the tables and create a new tablespace for all new table partitions in every quarter. I get a good 24 hour down time every quarter.
                        or

2. should i keep all the slow growing tables unpartitioned in a single Tablespace called SLOW_GROW. The fast growing tables can be partitioned and kept in series
of tablespaces called FAST_2000_Q1, FAST_2000_Q2.....

thanks in advance

butun Received on Sun Jan 16 2000 - 07:18:20 CST