Re: cache buffer chain latch

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:15:55 -0000

cache_buffers_chain

    used to default to next prime after db_block_buffers/4

can be set using parameter

    _db_block_hash_latches

Each database block is associated with one buffer chain. When a block is required, Oracle generates a hash value for that block to determine which chaing it should be on and checks this hash chain to see if it is already there. If it is, fine, if not Oracle loads it into a buffer and attaches the buffer to the chain. For stability reasons Oracle can take the latch for a hash chain at various times during the life cycle of a block request.

One reason for lots of waits is that a lot of frequently used blocks are associated with the same latch - look at v$latch_children instead of v$latch for symptoms of this. Check X$BH for the HLADDR column

    select hladdr, count(*) from x$bh
    group by hladdr
    having count(*) > 10 (say)
Select

    file#, dbablk from x$bh for those hladdr values.

Another, more likely, reason is that your slowdown is actually caused by heavy
checkpointing.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk