Re: Veritas -- do # of spindles really matter ??

From: rob van laarhoven <rob_at_dsdelft.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:17:43 +0100

>>The question:
>>Which is faster -- (a) the current 2-spindle architecture, or (b) if 5
>>separate filesystems were explicitly-defined on their own dedicated disk?
>>Keep in mind both (a) and (b) would take advantage of the same
Veritas/RAID
>>configuration (striping and mirroring).

IMHO there should be a 1 to 1 relation between mountpoints and physical disks. This will not make the disks faster but will make it possible to place databaseobjects on a specific physical disk, this will be handy when distributing IO over the disks..

>how would you stripe data if each filesystem had one disk in (b) ?

I think he is refering to Oracle Striping : putting the data of a large table on more than one disk. When you have a table with 200Mb of data you can create 2 datafiles of 100 Mb on diffent disks and import the data. The IO on the table will be spread over two disks.

Rob. Received on Fri Jan 14 2000 - 06:17:43 CST