Re: justification of tuning effort

From: Steven Hauser <hause011_at_garnet.tc.umn.edu>
Date: 13 Jan 2000 18:00:46 -0600

I kind of do it the Micheal way.

Check the slowest SQL first, a simple change or better index   may fix stuff by magnitudes of ten time.

Look for conflicting batch jobs and reschedule.

A database is just part of the system, check OS parameters and performance.   Check the OS and Oracle config files for errors, mistakes.   I have seen server NIC set at 10MB when the network can run 100MB,     sometimes makes a big difference for client-server.

--

Steven Hauser
email: hause011@tc.umn.edu URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hause011