Re: Oracle 8 Problems

From: <bm_lindsey_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:22:19 GMT

This is kind of a unique setup in that only one or two databases might be accessed at any one time. It is a development environment and we keep an example of each client's database (very scaled down) so that we can access them if needed to troubleshoot problems.

On our previous 7.1 setup, the services for each database (around 20) were running, but we would only start the instances when we actually needed to use the database.

We are following a similar approach with Oracle 8 but are running into problems even though the machine and memory are an upgrade.

I understand this is kind of a unique circumstance as you would not have 20 databases on one machine if they were being accessed and utilized.

Looks like our approach might be to make the individual database services manual starts and only start the service when we need to work on a particular database.

In article <947789502.2482.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postmaster_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
> This is a typical case of a way too small and inadequate server.
Twenty
> databases on one server, you must be joking.
> For one database you already need 128M, let alone for 20. Following
the
> Oracle guideline a max of one third of memory is allocated to SGA,
you have
> some 40M SGA, you should have much more, or the SGA of your individual
> databases is too small. Equip that one server with 372 Mb extra, buy
3 more
> servers with the same amount of RAM -they are not that expensive- and
> reconfigure!
>
> Hth,
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> <bm_lindsey_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Wondering if anyone else has had real flakey things happening with
> > their Oracle 8 installation. We are running Oracle 8.0.5 with 20
> > databases, all created with the database wizard and specified as
> > small. The hardware is a dual celeron 500 with 128MB ram and is
> > running NT 4 with service pack 5. This is the machine's only
purpose
> > and only has a couple people on it at a time.
> >
> > Has anyone run up against a limit of the number of databases you can
> > have attached to one Oracle database instance? Any other ideas?
> >
> > We had a similar setup in Oracle 7.1 running on a Pentium Pro 200
with
> > 96MB ram.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 17:22:19 CST