Creating Oracle accounts: usernames and passwords under Red Hat Linux 6.1

From: Jerry Asher <asher.nospam_at_nospam.autobahn.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:22:34 -0800

So I believe I have Oracle 8i set up (Red Hat 6.1), and I have created an initial database (SID=web), but whenever I try to connect, sqlplus quickly tells me that I have:

ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

I have tried connecting to Oracle when logged in to Linux as user Oracle in group dba. I have tried as root (which is in group dba as a supplementary member).

So how in general do I set up accounts in Oracle?

How do I get Oracle to respect the accounts and privileges of the underlying Linux system (using /etc/passwd, etc....)

Thanks!

Jerry
asher.nospam_at_nospam.autobahn.org (remove the nospam to email of course) Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 17:22:34 CST