Can't Get Oracle to Start During Boot: Sys V

From: Cory Phillips <cory-p_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:53:32 GMT

I installed Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux. Once installation was complete, the installer left Oracle running and I was able to log into the demo account (scott/tiger) and view some tables.

I didn't know how to shut Oracle down, so I exited SQL Plus and shutdown the machine. I don't know if Oracle shut down cleanly.

At a later point in time, I tried to set up my machine to start Oracle at boot time. Linux uses the System V boot process as opposed to BSD style.

I put the dbora script in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory. I then created links to the dbora file like so:
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K10dbora -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K10dbora -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99dbora -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora

However, it does not start Oracle when I reboot.

I have also tried starting the database by logging into the oracle account (group dba) and using the sever manager command to start the database.
SVRMGRL> startup

But I get an Oracle error message stating insufficient privilages.

When I first installed Oracle my thoughts were I didn't wanting it starting Oracle during boot because I may not use it each time and there was no point in it being resident in memory. I just thought I would start the server whenever I needed it.

I have not been able to get Oracle to run since my initial install. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Cory Phillips Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 14:53:32 CST