Re: moving my DB from one server to another... how?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:15:35 +0100

Hi Majken,
If this is from one NT server to another you could as well copy the database files.
Here's how to do it
1 install Oracle on the target machine
2 create an instance with the same SID as on the source machine. Simply use oradim to create an instance, do NOT create a database 3 make a backup of the source system
4 issue 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' on the source system. This will generate a trace file in the user_dump_dest directory. The trace file will contain statements to recreate the controlfile. 5 Copy everything over. If you need to change file locations, do not forget to edit the trace file
6 Start the Oracle service and run the trace file. This should be all.
With respect to export: stored, procedures, packages and sequences are exported in both user mode and full database mode. Create tablespace statements are exported in full database mode ONLY. However, you need to create your database manually, as no create database statement is exported.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA