? Memory leak JDBC Thin Driver 8.1.6 ?

From: Tim Romano <tim_at_ot.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:25:10 -0500

One of the early Oracle ODBC drivers (around three years ago) had a severe memory leak when recordsets were refreshed. I'm seeing what looks to be similar behavior in the following java code (using the Oracle 8.1.6 thin JDBC driver) which simply refreshes a JBuilder3 ParameterRow with the same parameter value (when one clicks on the button over and over):

void jButton2_actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {

    try
     parameterRow1.setBigDecimal("CTY_ID", BigDecimal.valueOf(248));     queryDataSet1.refresh();
   }
    catch (Exception ex) {
     ex.printStackTrace();
    }
  }

The memory consumed by java.exe (according to Windows NT Task Manager) escalates each time the button is clicked: 17152k, 17188k, 17232k, 17344k, 17472k ...

I'm running an applet in the applet viewer, having launched it from the JBuilder3 IDE using Run.

Not sure what's eating up the memory (JDBC driver? Borland's java data objects?) Anyone know anything about this issue?

BTW, not that it matters, but I'm selecting against the HOTELS table in the TRAVEL demo which is available on Oracle's web site; the query string of the underlying QueryRecordSet, to which the ParameterRow is bound, is as follows:

select CTY_ID, NAME, ID from HOTELS where CTY_ID = :CTY_ID

TIA
Tim Romano Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 10:25:10 CST