Re: Oracle 8 on NT

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:34:20 GMT

What do you mean by uptime? Do you mean 99.985% of the total day (24 hours) of every day of the year? Or do you mean 99.985% of the scheduled time available. 99.985% uptime in a true 24x7 system means that you can only be down a total of 78.84 minutes during the year. But if you are only scheduled to be available 8-5, Mon-Fri, then 99.985% uptime means that you can be down over 6,000 hours during the year.

jcollins_at_sasquatch.com wrote "you can't do anything to the box because it requires a reboot" and daniel wrote "We schedule our patches/reboots (< 10 minutes) and everything works fine." I don't think you'll find anyone (outside of Microsoft) that will agree that an NT box can be relied up to provide constant availability in a 24x7 environment. The NT Servers need occasional reboots. You must also reboot the server when installing a variety of patches and programs.

In my opinion, I would not use an NT server if you need "at least 99.985%" uptime for a 24x7 environment. While it's possible that you may go 2,3 or maybe even 6 months without rebooting, it will be hard pressed to maintain that availability for a year. For that sort of uptime in a 24x7 environment, I'd use a Unix box. But if you need that uptime for a 8-5, Mon-Fri environment, then you shouldn't have too many problems.

HTH,
Brian