Re: How to archive very large Oracle RMAN files to tape?

From: Paul Eggert <eggert_at_twinsun.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2000 01:17:29 -0800

Tim Cuthbertson <timcuth_at_my-deja.com> writes:

>Both cpio and tar work with "large files", but there is still a maximum
>file size of 8 GB minus 1 byte.

Recent test versions of GNU tar can go past the 8 GB limit, but you'll need to use GNU tar to retrieve the data, as there's no standard tar format for files larger than 8 GB. See:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/tar/

The new GNU tar format can handle up to 2**88 bytes, which is 256 Yottabytes. This should last us a while. I would have made the new limit even larger, but there are backward compatibility concerns. Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 03:17:29 CST