Quirky Oracle installation problem

From: <sonar11_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:37:00 GMT

Hello Oracle gurus:

 I recently did a complete reformat of my hard drive, so now I have to reinstall Oracle Personal Edition 8.
 However, I ran into a problem at the very beginning of the installation process.
 After I inserted the CD-ROM, I am asked to type in the home location, where the Oracle files are supposed to be  installed. I typed in C:\ However, Oracle then changed this path to Z:\ (my zip drive)and then copied an orawin95  directory to the Zip.
 So I then went back to the text box where the home directory is  supposed to be entered, in order to change it back to C:, but I was surprised to see that this text box was  disabled (i.e., grayed out), which prevented me from entering the correct path.
 The installation program also entered in my autoexec.bat a path command containing the path to Z: I then
 removed this line from autoexec.bat, rebooted and tried the installation program again. However, doing this did  not fix the text box problem -- it was still grayed out.  So now I do not know how to go about installing this software and I need it for an upcoming class.
 My PC is a Pentium 200 MHZ, with 160MB of RAM and a 4GB hard drive, using Windows 95.
 Can anyone advise me on this matter? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

 Patrick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 12 2000 - 17:37:00 CST