External user authentication in Oracle8i

From: Shagun Tyagi <styagi_at_cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:48:41 -0600

Hi. How does external user authentication work in Oracle8i ?? Specifically, what I want to know is how do I setup Oracle8i (8.1.5) to do user authentication using unix hash files ??

Here are the details:

I'll have users connecting to my database via internet/intranet. What I would like to accomplish is that I do not have to add generic passwords to these users when creating their account in my database; rather have the Oracle database use a unix hash file (something other than /etc/passwd file) to authenticate these users. Is this at all possible..?? If yes, how would I go about doing this...?? If not, is there a decent workaround this problem..??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Shagun Tyagi. Received on Wed Jan 12 2000 - 17:48:41 CST