Re: Full db Export but exclude some tables

From: <rungr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:09:14 GMT

In article <85gonl$45t$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   S. Han <shan168_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to export the full database. But the problem is it's too big (>
> 3GB). I have to break the export into some smaller ones. How am I able
> to export the full database by excluding some HUGE tables? 90% of
tables
> in this db belong to one user. So there is no way I can use "user"
> export. Any help will be appreciated!
>
> Steph

Steph;
We have used the following scheme to export and compress the output file all in one fell swoop, by using the UNIX pipe construct. The resulting file is a compressed export, without the full export file ever living on the box. Here's the gist of it:

/etc/mknod DB_export.dmp p                     #1
sleep 3
/usr/contrib/bin/gzip < DB_export.dmp > DB_export.dmp.gz & #2 sleep 3
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/exp parfile=expDB.par #3 sleep 3
rm DB_export.dmp                               #4

#1 Creates a named pipe, which will be about 1K on the box. #2 run gzip in the background, to zip the piped output to the compressed file.
#3 start the export in the foreground, using DB_export.dmp as the destination file.
#4 delete the named pipe.

Importing the same file looks like this:

/etc/mknod DB_pipe p                         #1
sleep 3
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/imp parfile=impDB.par &     #2
sleep 3
/usr/contrib/bin/gunzip < DB_export.dmp.gz > DB_pipe #3 sleep 3
rm DB_pipe                                   #4

#1  Same as above

#2 Start the import in the background. #3 Unzip the compressed export file in the forground, filling the named pipe. The import parameter file needs to specify the DB_pipe as the input file.
#4 Same as above.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 12 2000 - 12:09:14 CST