Re: Downgrade from 8.1.5 to 8.0.5

From: Christian Kaas <ckaas_at_odn.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:31:25 GMT

>I've been asked to look at the impact of downgrading from 8.1.5 to 8.0.5 for
>reasons that do not need explaining here....
>
>What is the best way of doing this, ensuring that obviously we keep all of
>our data and users intact ???

I think best would be to export all schemas using the 8.0.5 export utility then reimport the dump into your 8.0.5 instance.

>I don't think that we've been using any of the latest features of 8.1.5
>which may have caused us even more problems...
>
>The only areas of concern are : external procedures and dynaminc SQL...can
>anyone confirm that these have remained the same between the two versions.

External procedures under 8.0.5 are diffenerent in that way that they are not so efficiently cached. each time you call an extproc a new net session is created when using 8.0.5.

Dynamic sql in 8.0.5 is possible only using the DBMS_SQL system Package NO "EXECUTE IMMEDIATE" syntax !

that's all Received on Wed Jan 12 2000 - 09:31:25 CST