Re: Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:42:44 GMT

In general your rep is right. I think the standard edition does not allow transaction processing. Many internets want to sell things to people where many intranets want to provide information to people.

Van

bhall <bhallNObhSPAM_at_gacorp.com.invalid> wrote in message news:0221c012.0a1df952_at_usw-ex0103-019.remarq.com...
> Background: We are beginning development on a ORACLE web-
> based application using PL/SQL w/embedded HTML. We expect
> maybe 50 - 100 concurrent users (user base is < 1000).
> Database size < 1 GIG.
>
> Not initially planning to distribute the database across
> machines. Will be using OAS/Web Listener on 1 box with the
> database on another.
>
> I am being told from my ORACLE Var rep that ORACLE 8i
> STANDARD edition is not really meant for internet
> applications but for intranet applications. He is
> suggesting ENTERPRISE edition. I wanted to start out with
> STANDARD and later upgrade to EDITION when we are able to
> house other applications and amortize the cost among the
> clients.
>
> Question: To those that are developing ORACLE web-based
> applications, are you using STANDARD or ENTERPRISE editions
> and can STANDARD be used with some level of confidence
> based on the vague specs I laid out here.
>
> Thanks for any comments,
>
> Barry
>

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 17:42:44 CST