Re: Question regarding partial recovery

From: Chuck <chuck_at_phi.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:29:49 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:19:33 +0100, "Sybrand Bakker" <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

We are under the assumption that any time we need to recover, we will lose all transactions since the last cold backup, which is done nightly. The problem with archivelog mode is that even though we can recover to any point in time, we cannot because it will put Oracle out of sync with our ERP package, which maintains its own internal database as well. Media failure will require that the ERP files be restored from the last offline, cold backup. It is a very dangerous design, but one that is beyond our control. So, my recovery scenario will be as follows:

2:00 AM Monday morning: Full backups done with Oracle and ERP down. 4:30 PM Tuesday: Some disaster requiring a full restore. We can only restore from the previous nights backup, at 2:00 AM, thus losing a day's worth of work. I know this would be insane at any other company, but ours is willing to accept this. (The data is not all that critical anyway, we are not selling anything etc...)

Any more info would be great,

Thanks,
Chuck