Re: Online backup of raw devices

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:25:55 +0800

Mike Ng wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now, I am using the Oracle8.1.5i and RS6000 with AIX4.3.3 for testing. And
> almost all the datafiles are using the raw devices. This machince will
> become a production soon. However, I still cannot find a good backup scheme
> to do the online database backup. What only I can find the document, is
> backup up the database using command dd but it must stop the database first.
> Anyone can give me some hints and reference on Online backup.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

'dd' will work with hot backups as well...

You can do the whole lot with rman, but the conventional means is typically

alter tablespace FIRST_ONE begin backup (dd the files for FIRST_ONE to tape/disk etc) alter tablespace FIRST_ONE end backup

alter tablespace NEXT_ONE begin backup
...and so on...

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 07:25:55 CST