Re: Question regarding partial recovery

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:19:33 +0100

Don't want you to look like silly, but there are some misconceptions in your post that need to be straightened out before it is getting dangerous. 1 Offline backup does not preclude archivelog. You should use archivelog all the time
2 As you are not running in archive log you didn't do complete recovery (as that would involve applying archive log files), you only restored from a backup. This will only work fine if nothing happened since the last complete backup
3 You are making physical backups. For Oracle the database is a conceptual whole. Hence, from a backup you can't recover individual tables. What you want is a logical backup. Logical backups are usually made through export. The restore/import from an export will definitely take less time compared to the procedure you describe.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA