Question regarding partial recovery

From: Chuck <chuck_at_phi.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:02:32 GMT

I hope this question is not as stupid as it may seem to me.

I do nightly cold backups for an 805 database that is not running is archive log mode. (I have too since the ERP suite it supports must be backed up offline)

I have two main tablespaces for data and indexes. (in additional to rollback, temp, system). What is the procedure to recover a single table, for example, from a cold offline backup?) I have done complete recoveries where I simply restore the control files, redo logs, and datafiles from tape, but what if I need to recover data from a single table.

I thought about a separate instance that I could use to restore everything to different locations, mount and open the restored files to this second instance, export the table and then import into the production database. Is this the easiest method? This procedure would take longer than I desire it to. (I an pull from tape somewhat quickly, I am using a DLT loader)

Thanks greatly,
Chuck Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 14:02:32 CST