Re: cold backup/ is this right?

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:51:06 -0500

No, no, no, no, no!

First, never run a production database in noarchivelog mode. You will never be able to recover to a point in time, nor will you be able to recover just one tablespace.

Second, there are several file types that you must get in order to have a valid backup:

  1. data files (v$datafile)
  2. control files (v$controlfile)
  3. init.ora file ($ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.ora)
  4. config.ora file (specified in init.ora)
  5. password files (?)
  6. redo log files (v$logfile)

And for the anal retentive,
7. backup $ORACLE_HOME

Lastly, you didn't mention if your database will be up or down, but I assume you know you can't do a valid cold backup a database while it is up.