Re: How datas can be handled in Big database

From: <rungr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:19:04 GMT

In article <052897bc.1c3598c7_at_usw-ex0110-075.remarq.com>,   Fither Muhammed <fither_mNOfiSPAM_at_hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> We want to manage a database containing more than 1 GB
> data. The data base containing 54 tables. In this database
> most of the space is occupied by 5 tables. Only the datas
> of the last six months are needed for usual operations. But
> the data before Six months are needed for annual reports.
> Can we improve the performance by taking the backup of old
> records(before six months) and delete the same from the
> database ? Can we restore the old data from this back up
> if there is a need for that? What are the
> Techiniques/Methods used for this ?
>
> We are using NT4.0/ORACLE 8
>
> Thanks - Fither Muhammed

Fither;
The situation you are describing sounds like a Data Warehouse. The current data is up to six months old. After six months, the data is summarized into a smaller subset, and stored in "fact" tables. A book or course on data warehouseing should make all this a lot clearer.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 13:19:04 CST