Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition

From: bhall <bhallNObhSPAM_at_gacorp.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:46:02 -0800

Background: We are beginning development on a ORACLE web- based application using PL/SQL w/embedded HTML. We expect maybe 50 - 100 concurrent users (user base is < 1000). Database size < 1 GIG.

Not initially planning to distribute the database across machines. Will be using OAS/Web Listener on 1 box with the database on another.

I am being told from my ORACLE Var rep that ORACLE 8i STANDARD edition is not really meant for internet applications but for intranet applications. He is suggesting ENTERPRISE edition. I wanted to start out with STANDARD and later upgrade to EDITION when we are able to house other applications and amortize the cost among the clients.

Question: To those that are developing ORACLE web-based applications, are you using STANDARD or ENTERPRISE editions and can STANDARD be used with some level of confidence based on the vague specs I laid out here.

Thanks for any comments,

Barry