Re: What are the benefits/drawbacks of placing tables into different tablespaces?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:27:55 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "jgroff" <jgroff_at_msn.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:32:59 -0500, you wrote:

>So the only benefit you can get from splitting tables into seperate table
>spaces is the ability to place them on different devices?

we backup and recover at the tablespace and file level as well. (less downtime to recover with >1 tablespace).

we can recover tablespaces to different points in time in 8.0 and up using rman.

we can (in 8i and up) transport a tablespace from one database and attach it to another database (copy indexes, loaded tables, etc from one database to another without having to dump and load).

segments cannot span a tablespace -- space management is sometimes easier with less objects in the same tablespace.

tablespaces can be set to readonly/readwrite -- all of the tablespace is read only or read write. if you have lots of static data and don't want to back it up all of the time or want to put it on slower mass storage devices -- putting it in its own tablespace will help...

and so on..... there are other reasons beyond putting them on different devices (actually, you do not need to put them in different tablespaces to get them on different devices but it is easier to do so....)

>dave mausner wrote in message <8EB88EA7dlm_at_206.141.192.241>...
>>NOrgSPAM_at_mcs-hh.de (Roger) wrote in
>><85d5cu$u3s$1_at_opal.hamburg.cityline.net>:
>>
>>>This is the first step, the next step ist to put this tablespaces on
>>>different disks...
>>>
>>>jgroff <jgroff_at_msn.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
>>>eamVu$3W$GA.262_at_cpmsnbbsa02...
>>
>>... provided that the disks are not part of the same raid-5 set.
>>--
>>dave mausner

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 08:27:55 CST