Re: cold backup/ is this right?

From: NeilC <neilc-olops_at_nospambtinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:16:41 +0000

Hi

Peter Kellner wrote:

SNIP
> are that if I get a list of all the datafiles (select * from
> v$datafile), backup those, then backup the control files, that this
> should be everything. Is this true?

Yes, although you may want to copy the init.ora, config.ora (if applicable) and any sqlnet config files (sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora, listener.ora etc) as well. As you are not backing up the redo log files, you are likely to have to open the database with the resetlogs command to rebuild the redo logs.

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Am I out to lunch? If so, how

NO

> 2. Is there an sql select that tells me what the names and directory
> locations of the control files are.

SQL> select name from v$controlfile;

HTH NEilC Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 04:16:41 CST