Re: dbms_output question

From: dave mausner <dmausner_at_ameritech.x.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:05:30 GMT

echome_at_ms16.hinet.net (Dennis) wrote in <85e13a$oc5$1_at_news.seed.net.tw>:
> I wanted to read the package body of DBMS_OUTPUT. But what I
> saw in
>the Schema Manger is : < Source Compressed / Wrapped >. Do you have a
>way to read it? Thanks in advanece.

it is wrapped because it is proprietary and ugly. it cannot be unwrapped by any method available in this solar system.

several versions ago, there was no wrapped pl/sql, and you could peek at standard packages like dbms_output. they use lots of weird undocumented pragmas which apparently hook pl/sql compiled code into specific kernel code sequences. it was semantically similar to the foreign-function -interface which enables you to hook c code to pl/sql.

the opportunity for a curious cat like you to totally fork-up his database is extremely large; and therefore worth hiding. -- dave mausner Received on Tue Jan 11 2000 - 00:05:30 CST