Re: Oracle datafile consistent ?

From: mkeene <matthew_keeneNOmaSPAM_at_ansett.com.au.invalid>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:29:29 -0800

So what happens when the control file has been either restored from backup, or even worse, recreated from the trace file ? In the first case the SCN will be old and in the second it will not exist at all, so what does Oracle use in this case ? Which SCN in the control file does it use ? Is there one per datafile or a single one for the entire instance ? How does Oracle write this information to it ? It can't be continually updating it because this would make the control file a huge bottleneck, does it only write it during a system checkpoint ?

The control file was where I originally understood the comparison was done but the more I started to look into it and research it the more confused I got, which was why I asked the question here.