Re: Oracle Parallel Server and Sun Clustering Options

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:07:14 -0000

The last I heard this was a question of certification. Sun will not support anything other than a very select list of devices. But if you are a big enough customer, are prepared to suffer the consequence (if they occur), and make enough of a fuss then you can run their software on almost any disk array you fancy.

I believe there is still a little bit of O/S level software that has to be vendor-supplied by the way. Oracle has simply reduced the size of the dependency, not eliminated it entirely. (e.g. for HP I believe you still have to run MC Lock Manager, which takes calls from the OPS lock daemon).

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk