Workaround for UTL_FILE 1023 bytes limit

From: Todd Owers <toddowers_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:00:35 GMT

If this idea has been previously posted in this newsgroup, please excuse the redundant post.

A workaround for the Oracle 7.3 limit of 1023 bytes on the maximum size of a line that can be written through UTL_FILE is to use Oracle Reports. Follow the Reports on-line help for creating an ASCII (character-mode) report. Set the system parameters MODE = Character, DESTYPE = File, and DESNAME = the desired output file name. You will also need to create a printer definition file (*.PRT) that will exclude control characters from the output, and set DESNAME = this new file name.

When the report runs, it will create an OS text file. I have successfully written lines of 1250 bytes using this technique.

I have received a lot of help from this newsgroup, so I hope this post is helpful to someone else.

Todd Owers
toddo_at_gcr1.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:00:35 CST