Re: Mirror Oracle-Redologfiles on Oracle-Level even when on Raid-1 or EMC-Systems ?

From: Bill Todd <billtodd_at_foo.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:39:23 -0500

If the EMC array is truly 'state of the art', it should allow you to do the following:

  1. partition some of the physical disks such into a large mirrored RAID-1 partition and a small non-mirrored partition to hold the Oracle logs (which Oracle apparently wants to mirror manually)
  2. give the small non-mirrored logical log volumes priority space in the Symmetrix write-back cache (which is battery-backed for stability, as I recall): this will greatly expedite your log writes with no sacrifice in safety (even in the highly unlikely event that the cache develops a bad board, the copy several miles away will still be valid), and at the same time minimize any performance interactions with the other (non-log) data that shares the same physical disks (every once in a while a large chunk will get written back to disk, but far less frequently than the Oracle log 'forces' occur).

Being expert neither in Oracle software nor EMC hardware, the above is just a guess at what may be feasible. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.