Re: performance with many columns

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:52:22 -0000

Interprocess pipe size and task switching. An Oracle front-end communicates with an Oracle back-end through a pipe of one sort or another. The typical pipe size for tcp is 2K the typical size for on-machine pipes is 8K.

This leads to a very high rate of dialogue turnaround when you pass lots of long
rows from the front to the back.

Bottom line - communications in an
Oracle environment are more likely to
be bottled on turnaround time, not
on pure bandwidth.

You can increase the pipesize on local
connections by setting up tnsnames.ora
and listener.ora to have a maximum (usually) of 32K for the SDU (documented) and TDU (undocumented).

Do check, however, in v$session_wait and v$session_event for other possible lost time - there are usually other reasons for extreme amounts of time loss before turn-around time can be blamed. (Do a delta on v$session_event for the critical SIDs as your processes are running).

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk