Re: Administration of Database via the Internet

From: Daniel <delj_at_flash.net>
Date: 06 Jan 2000 12:45:56 EST

I use VPN software for clients with sensitive data. It is fairly secure and imposes very little bandwidth overhead. It is also easy for me to implement on my Windows workstations. This gives me a protected connection through the client's firewall. Most firewalls allow for VPN. It will not protect you from all of the hackers in the world but it should keep you out of trouble. There are individuals who can break this sort of thing but you know.... the better the lock, the better the theives get. Most of the security compromises I have dealt with in my life have been internal to the company. Physical security is usually a much bigger issue. I even had a client where one of the employees stole the drives out of the RAID cabinet. Passwords don't help much with that!

Daniel
Austin, Texas

"Jeremy Ovenden" <jovenden_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message news:852j0h$t3l$1_at_gxsn.com...
> I guess the prime worry would be having a sqlnet listener open to the
> internet (if you will work client/server with some admin tools). What
steps
> do you implement to minimise the risks of someone obtaining
> username/password data and then marching in to your oracle DB?
>
> Daniel wrote in message <84vo3k$p1s_at_journal.concentric.net>...
> >If you are referring to compromising Oracle's security, I doubt that
Oracle