'Extproc' problem on 8.0.4 + HPUX

From: <tiluki_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 17:32:59 GMT

Hello All,

I am encountering a problem with invoking external procedures in an Oracle 8.0.4 installation (patched to 8.0.4.4) on a HP9000/712 machine running HPUX 10.20. Both the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files are, I believe, set up correctly – since the listener starts up fine with appropriate service handlers. However, the problem then occurs whilst attempting to invoke a C function in a shared library (as referenced in Oracle by a very straightforward library/external procedure PL/SQL definition). Oracle does seem to resolve this call OK – but the point of failure occurs when the ‘extproc’ process is to be started to handle the actual execution. This is justified by running ‘lsnrctl service’ which reveals that:

extproc has 1 service handler(s)
DEDICATED SERVER established:0 refused:1

Further proof of a problem with the ‘extproc’ executable seems to occur when I attempt to run ‘extproc’ directly in $ORACLE_HOME/bin. It terminates immediately – unlike other installations that I have (of exactly the same setup!) where ‘extproc’ at least returns build/copyright information.

Having worked my way down this trail of execution, I have concluded that (while I don’t like it) it would therefore seem that something is at conflict between the UX installation/architecture and the version of ‘extproc’ that is supplied. The reasons that I could normally attribute to an executable terminating like this (without so much as a core file) - such as incorrect internal program attributes like incorrect SHLIB_PATH and corrupted shared libraries – I have tested using ‘chatr’, etc. And yet they seem to fine!

So, there you have it. I am decidedly stuck at the moment - and in case I’m not seeing the wood for the trees – I’m wondering if anyone else at all has ever encountered a problem similar to this?

Cheers in advance,

Tim.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 06 2000 - 11:32:59 CST