Re: DBA Exams

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:17:14 GMT

My feeling is that your previous experience will dictate which exam is easiest for you. If you spent time as an Oracle developer and worked with (PL)SQL a lot, then the first exam should be too difficult. I know one guy who taught DBA Administration concepts. So the second exam would probably be easy for him, but he's not too confident in PLSQL. So it all depends on experience.

At this stage, you might not want to get Oracle 7 certified. Oracle has announced that Oracle 7 certification expires on Aug 31, 2000. You need to be upgraded to Oracle 8 to keep your certification after that date. If you can pass all four Oracle 7 exams and the upgrade by Aug 31st, then go ahead with that route. But if you can't get all five exams passed by that date, then just work on Oracle 8. My 2 cents..

HTH,
Brian