Re: Queston on Oracle

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 14:05:04 GMT

Hi,

 answers inline.

Karsten

In article <Pine.GSO.4.05.10001051230290.1402-100000_at_taiyang>,   Ya Li Wang <ylwang_at_smi.stanford.edu> wrote:

> 1) How to merge the database file from Microsoft to Oracle 8i under
UNIX There used to be a database migration tool from MS Access to Oracle on Windows. I belive it is shipped with Oracle/NT. Never used that though.

A 'simple' method is to export your tables one-by-one into a text format (csv or the like) and use sql*loader to get it into oracle. this requires you to create all the data-structures yourself. All manual - but a great opportunity to learn some of the basics.

> 2) which Oracle manual for 8i is the best one ?

The best one ... well. The most comprehensive one is certainly Oracle's documentation. It is a bit lenghty. (you need 10 ft of bookshelf-space for all these books) online on technet.oracle.com The most important ones are probably SQL Reference and Concepts.

> 3) How to create a tablespace ?

create tablespace ...... (I don't have the full syntax handy, sorry.) Or use Oracle Enterprise Manager.

> 4) When I run Oracle 8i with PC version, Can I see the interface of
> database structure just like Microsoft access ?

This is not as simple as Access. The closest you might get in terms of physical and logical structure is Enterprise Manager.

> Thank for your anwer, I enjoy learning from all of you.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 06 2000 - 08:05:04 CST