Re: Oracle on AIX

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 20:53:49 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:57:16 +0100, "Cris Di Sclafani" <cds_at_archesis.it> wrote:

>Hello,
>i installed an Oracle 8.0.6 on AIX system, Escala1 - 128MB RAM, and had
>terrible performance problems in file access (creating a datafile took a lot
>of time and the machine started to swap .. ok, the server is not so fast,
>but i think it's not normal to have to wait 45 minutes to get a 1GB
>datafile).
>Has anyone had similar problems and is there something to do??
>
>Thanks in advance. Cris Di Sclafani

First of all: buy more memory. 128M is on most platforms the absolute minimum to get it going at all. At least double or better still quadruple to 512M. If you are creating a file of 1Gb, you must keep in mind, AFAIK, the whole 1G is overwritten. You must also take care you don't take the default file system characteristics, like the number of i-nodes. And as someone remarked today, AIX has journalled filesystems, you should make sure not ALL your filesystems journal to 1 single jfslog disk.
If you remark 'the server is not so fast' and you have only 128M I suspect more is going on.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 14:53:49 CST