reallocating tablespaces

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 19:36:23 GMT

Well, I've just completed the Oracle Performance and Tuning Workshop and am ready to attack our large collection of databases. All of these databases were built by either myself or one other DBA, and we both started with zero Oracle experience. As you can imagine, there are lots of tuning opportunities to correct past sins.

One of the first things I want to do is correct the storage allocations of our tablespaces, resizing the extents and resetting PCTINCREASE back to zero. Could someone point me in the direction to best accomplish this? I'm sure I can figure out *a* way of doing it, and I'm not looking for a ready-to-run solution, just a point in the right direction, to avoid excessive spinning of wheels.

One other item: As those who have taken the class know, it covers all sorts of things that impact performance, how to measure them, how to adjust them. But they are all "internal" things. My boss has said the one measure he cares about is query execution time -- how long does it take to execute a query. I can do all kinds of things with buffer caches, log files, file distribution, etc. etc. etc. but in the end I've got to be able to measure and show improvement in application response time. That was the one measurement I don't recall covering in the class. Again -- any hints?

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 13:36:23 CST